[kwlug-disc] FLOSS Fund nomination for next meeting

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jun 16 09:38:54 EDT 2011

> No, I am suggesting that questionable or marginal nominations be given a
> sober second thought before public presentation. Nothing prevents the
> nomination, regardless, however, second opinions and consultation can
> have value.

I disagree. This list is for discussing LUG business as well as more
general FLOSS topics.
Nomination and discussion of candidates/projects which someone is not
sure will be accepted, give the Shadowy Cabal more material to think
about when making the final decision.

> The FLOSS fund pages make it pretty clear what an 'obviously reasonable'
> candidate is.

It does not. And entirely on purpose to avoid legalistic bickering.

 From the FLOSS page:

    The FLOSS Fund attempts to address free software neglect by
    providing a structured way for LUG members to express appreciation
    and support for their favourite free software. Each month, members
    make voluntary contributions to a software project, and then we send
    off those contributions to the developers to show our appreciation
    for their hard work.

I can see a donation to this project as support for either a FLOSS
project (e.g., helping the contributors get back to working on it) or
support for a FLOSS contributor (e.g., helping someone who makes a
direct contribution to the project).

Final decisions are made by the Shadowy Cabal after hearing opinions and
considering the project. If you do not like some choices then do not
donate that month. And make a nomination of a project that you think is
appropriate.

Andrew
(mwahahahah, and disappears into the night)

(P.S.: If these periodic discussion also make us think more about
donating money to projects outside of any structure, that could also be
a good thing.)