[kwlug-disc] Webserver hosting advice

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Jun 13 15:23:35 EDT 2011

Richard Weait wrote, On 06/13/2011 1:08 PM:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:

>>> You mean like, "Hiring a professional" except with all of the blame
>>> and none of the pay?
>> No. I mean like "Share your experiences". You know, like the other
>> ways we support each other with information. If I ask a question and
>> get dumb advice it is my fault for following it.
>
> It feels different when the folks asking don't ask for themselves.
> They are seeking, or you are suggesting "email buddies".  That seems
> different from sharing the questions and answers on-list, no?

I take your point, but don't think you should take it that way,
particularly since it's Paul asking.

One (paraphrased) quote I will always remember of Paul's - along the
lines of "In my experience, the greatest cause for failure of someone
to convert to Linux is the lack of access to support after the fact.
You/they can install Linux, but if they don't have anyone to ask
questions of then, they usually go back to Windows." [Let alone, if
you've just converted your only computer.]

For someone like myself, and probably many interested in computers,
the hardest part is where to start. Given a keyword, from a helping
hand, I can then go google the details, and follow them - it's the
"what the heck do they call this" that's the first hard part.

Any such volunteering magnanimous (e-mail) buddy can draw a line in
the sand and say this is as far as I can go, for free / have time for.

To your point, whomever Paul is trying to help out can join the list.
(But I accept that Paul has good reason for his particular approach in
a given instance.)

But I don't think your intimation of Paul is reasonable here.