[kwlug-disc] Local ISP No Limits and No Usage Charges (Oksana Goertzen)

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Fri Jun 10 04:51:35 EDT 2011

On 2011-06-09 23:46, Darcy Casselman wrote:
> Eyesurf is DSL.  But it's DSL that isn't buying wholesale from Bell.
> So that's nice
I am likely going over old ground here so please allow me to do so.
(AFIK) In areas served by Bell, Bell owns the local loop, i.e. the
copper from the CO to the demarcation point at the household or place of
business. Premises wiring after the demarcation point is owned by the
owners of the property. But I digress. To carry the POTS (non VoIP)
service the local loop must, of course, be connected at the Bell CO to
the Bell telco switches. (Not all local loops are connected to the
telco's telephone switches. A local loop not connected to the telco
switches is a dry loop.)

It is where DSL is concerned that my understanding is a bit fuzzy.
(AFIK) If a local loop (wet or dry) is to carry DSL it must be connected
through a DSLAM to a backbone digital trunk and the network at large.
Bell DSLAMs provide their DSL service, either retail or wholesale. I
have read here that other companies' DSLAMs can be co-located at the CO
and the local loops can be connected to these third-party DSLAMs and as
a result will carry DSL services not provided, either directly or
through resale, by Bell.

In areas not served by Bell, substitute the name of the local telco
service provider for 'Bell' in the text above. For example, in the
Goderich and surrounding area, Hurontel is the (a?) local supplier of
telephone and related services. Hurontel is but one of the many
'independents' in Ontario.

jsquared