[kwlug-disc] Dump skype on Monday night

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Jun 6 14:50:21 EDT 2011

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 06/06/2011 2:06 PM:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 10:25:24AM -0700, John Kerr wrote:
>>> Perhaps some of us may want to try setting up Skype
>>> alternatives with our
>>
>> Laptops.
>>

> The main issue with whichever Skype alternative is that you have to
> convince all your friends and family to switch to another product. Critical
> mass, social hurdle, ...etc.

Perhaps dumb questions, but:

1. There are Skype alternatives?
- for the moment, let's ignore the client and talk about the backbone.
- i.e. To Khalid's point, presumably the alternative has to have a
solid, wide-ranging presence - if we're to convince those we talk to
to consider trying the alternative. What might they be - google?
(Given Android?)

2. Why switch from Skype?
- I get that MS has purchased Skype - have there been any intimations
or news of 'nefariousness'?