[kwlug-disc] wget and --no-check-certificates with Unlimitel

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Jun 5 00:10:30 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:57:18PM -0400, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> If the certificate is issued to primus.ca, but the URL you're accessing
> is unlimitel.ca then you'll get errors.  But I don't know if that's the
> meaning of "Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority".
>
> Unlimitel was recently bought by Primus, so up to now they may have been
> using certificates issued to unlimitel.ca, which matches the URL.

Here is what Firefox reports about the cert (at
https://api.unlimitel.ca):

Issued To
Common Name (CN)		*.unlimitel.ca
Organization (O)		Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc
Organizational Unit (OU)	<Not Part Of Certificate>
Serial Number			00:82:F5

Issued By
Common Name (CN)		GeoTrust SSL CA
Organization (O)		GeoTrust, Inc.
Organizational Unit (OU)	<Not Part Of Certificate>

Validity
Issued On			4/3/2011
Expires On			4/6/2014

There is fingerprint information too, but you could look that up.

This suggests that the certs should not give me errors (and they don't
in Firefox) but that they have been changed with the sale to Primus.

However, I don't know why this would make wget confused.

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org