[kwlug-disc] wget and --no-check-certificates with Unlimitel

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jun 4 22:05:40 EDT 2011

I am using Unlimitel's API to get information about our accounts. The
API is documented here:

http://www.unlimitel.ca/temp/support/voip_support/api-documentation-v2.pdf

Here is the line in question, with our customer number suitably
masked:

wget https://api.unlimitel.ca/getlastmonthcdr.php?custnum=XXXXX

This used to work fine last month. This month wget gives me the
following errors:

Resolving api.unlimitel.ca... 216.254.136.108
Connecting to api.unlimitel.ca|216.254.136.108|:443... connected.
ERROR: cannot verify api.unlimitel.ca's certificate, issued by
`/C=US/O=GeoTrust, Inc./CN=GeoTrust SSL CA':
  Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
To connect to api.unlimitel.ca insecurely, use
`--no-check-certificate'.
Unable to establish SSL connection.

The "--no-check-certificate" option works, but it is scary.

I don't know what wget is trying to do that fails.

I am not sure what has changed on Unlimitel's side. It looks like the
certificates belong to Primus, and have a "notbefore" field of
"4/3/2011" -- so April 3 2011?  (Good grief. ISO 8601 is a good idea,
people.) I guess this means something changed with the cert since the
last time this script ran?

I would appreciate any of the following:
- Confirmation that something is wrong
- An explanation of what is wrong and the best way to fix it
- Whether I should just give in and se the --no-check-certificate
  option.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org