[kwlug-disc] Cable ISP? (Was: Re: Local ISP No Limits and No Usage Charges)

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sat Jun 4 20:23:06 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:36:38AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> - loss of Roger's cable tv in process?

I had no rogers-provided services before the switch. I have heard of
issues on DSL reports of rogers techs improperly disconnecting. I have
not had an issue.

> - immune from Roger's traffic shaping?

I can't comment to that. I know I had a torrent last night that clamed
to be 1MB/s (note the capitals), though I didn't attempt to confirm with
my router.

> - blocked ports? (one site notes some ports blocked, but not 80 and
> 25. Which doesn't tell me a whole lot.)

I haven't noticed any blocked ports.

> In common, it seems, 300GB limit (unlimited available), 10Mbps,
> about $10 less than Rogers (Express/60GB), but ~$100 in initial fees
> (setup + modem purchase).

I'm paying $43+tax for the 15Mb/1Mb 300GB service. I was previously
paying $36 for 5Mb/800kb 300GB DSL w/ MLPPP and static IP. Unfortunately
static IP is not an option on cable, I had to switch to DDNS and a CNAME
in my DNS records.

As for the service itself, it seems substantially faster. Previously, if
my wife were to watch netflix, I couldn't do anything low-latency
(games. voip, maybe), and doing anything bandwidth intensive (torrents,
etc) would start to affect her experience. Not sure if this was a
limitation of the technology swapped out (modem + wrt54G) or just a
limitation of available bandwidth. We have not had any issues with this
at all (but also, new modem and new router, a WNDR3700 running OpenWRT).

Note that I am in London, though. I know some folks on teksavvy cable in
toronto are having a lot of trouble with congestion. I'm unsure of the
status of the K/W area.

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca