[kwlug-disc] rcs (git?) integration/prevalence? [Was: CSS: varying colours based on inheritance]

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Jul 8 13:12:13 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 11:54:42AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
>> The more I ponder this, the more I think this could be done by writing
>> a FUSE filesystem driver with a git backend....
>>
>> *google searches*
>>
>> And what do you know?  gitfs and figfs already exist.  I wonder if
>> they do what we want.  If not, maybe combining with something like
>> git-annex or bup would work.
>>
>> This project needs programmers with free time. :-)
>
> So, clearly, my premise is understood. Joe user getting on with his
> daily use, on all file types, be it .odt or .jpg or even .raw, and the
> magic that is rcs sitting in the background just making this all
> transparent to him. Add a couple of generic utilities for reverting back
> and recovering disk space (by deleting intermediate versions).

This sounds like the functionality documented here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versioning_file_system

According to that page such functionality is in btrfs, as
functionality called "file cloning". Userland support is a different
issue, although apparently coreutils has support now.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org