[kwlug-disc] [OT] linux server power

unsolicited at swiz.ca unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Jan 31 21:06:15 EST 2011

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-31-guruplug-server-standard.aspx
>> Raul Suarez
>
> Problem with those are, by the time you add this and that, you end up
> with "netbox" or "nettop" (whatever they it) at a price you don't want
> to pay.  Because you can get $199 x86 box (ie. Acer Revo).

Interesting.

Take this further, and back to what Paul suggested elsewhere ... do such
specs in a laptop format start making reasonable sense? Or does it get too
expensive by that point.

- part of the point Paul was making at the time was 'built in UPS'.
- the laptop format avoiding the having to dig up and haul over a keyboard
/ monitor when something isn't right and/or the personal expertise isn't
yet in place to deal with it via ssh or the like. (Certainly I can
appreciate the idea of one-stop hardware shopping.)

Have I not see the ION criticized as video and power consumption overkill
for a dedicated device? (Such as running trixbox or ... what was that
firewall distro? ...)

I've also seen criticism of the Atom because Intel took the easy way out
and paired it with a non-matching chipset (in terms of power consumption?).
Is that likely to change any time soon?

Just remember ... since Atoms are soldered to the motherboard, such
devices are disposable. Any problem with any of the components, and you're
replacing the entire board, CPU included. Which may be no bad thing, but is
something to know.