[kwlug-disc] UBB comes to Teksavvy

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Mon Jan 31 20:06:03 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 07:38:28PM -0500, unsolicited at swiz.ca wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:41:44 +0000, rbclemen at gmail.com wrote:
> > It is an attack on our culture and our educational
> > development in the name of, not increasing--but maintaining, corporate
> > profits.
>
> That has to be a crock. If you take out streaming or torrents...

Take out streaming and torrents?  Are you forgetting that to many people,
streaming == "our culture"? :-)  And to many people, cheap bandwidth
is fuel for the kind of advancement we have been waiting for, for
nearly a decade?

Netflix just arrived, with a product and service that people have been
waiting for, both patiently (via cable) and impatiently (via filesharing)
for years.  These sorts of advances don't come along unless you have
cheap bandwidth and some means to pry content out of the dry, crusty
fingers of megacorporations.

According to Ralph's numbers, Bell makes nearly $4 *billion* in just _one_
quarter.  Maybe I'm simple, but I think the burden of proof that caps
are truly needed should rest with them.

- Chris