[kwlug-disc] UBB comes to Teksavvy

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Mon Jan 31 14:19:36 EST 2011

On 11-01-31 12:30 PM, Bob Jonkman wrote:
>    On 11-01-31 10:26 AM, Rashkae wrote:
>
> >  I would like to see exactly what the CRTC tarrif structure is.
>
> Telecom Decision CRTC 2011-44 - Usage-based billing for Gateway Access Services
> and third-party Internet access services:
>
> http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-44.htm

This says pretty much exactly what I had quoted in the first news
article.  To wit:

The Commission notes that wholesale UBB rates were approved for the Bell
companies in Telecom Decision 2010-255
<http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-255.htm>, which was issued
on 6 May 2010.

    a per-gigabyte (GB) rate for monthly usage generated by the end-user
    above the usage threshold (overage), which would be capped;

    a per-GB charge for usage in excess of 300 GB monthly for a GAS
    ISP's end-user (excessive usage charge) if, and when, the Bell
    companies introduce a corresponding charge for their retail
    residential Internet service (retail Internet service) customers on
    UBB plans at that time.

    The Bell companies proposed usage thresholds of 2 GB, 20 GB, and 60
    GB for the 512 Kbps, 2 Mbps, and 5 Mbps speed options, respectively.
    They proposed to cap the overage charge, which would vary by speed
    option, at $22.50 (or 25 percent lower than their retail rate) for
    all speed options.

So here we see, the real base cap for a 5-mbit connection should be
60GB, not TS's 25GB.  And also, the cap for overage (up to 300GB) is
$22.50, compared to TS's $55 for "Insurance")