[kwlug-disc] [OT] linux server power

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Jan 31 11:23:32 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 10:55:47AM -0500, L.D. Paniak wrote:
> Here is your new low-power server:
>
> http://www.semiaccurate.com/2011/01/26/compulab-announces-tegra-2-powered-trim-slice/
>
> Or you can just run a hacked router with TDP<10W.
>
> On the other hand, as a very clever classmate of mine once asked:  What
> is wrong with power consumption in the winter?  You need to heat your
> house anyway.  You'll probably run your furnace more to make up for your
> super energy-conscious new server. Think of a server as a funny looking
> baseboard heater.
>
> The flip-side of this argument are cooling requirements in the summer
> and the shoulder seasons where you might not need extra heat in the
> house/office.  Then the computation of "energy savings" gets
> complicated.

Here is an excellent (and CC licenced) book dealing with these issues:

http://www.withouthotair.com/

The website is ugly but the PDF is nice.

I found it quite helpful for figuring out what actions make the
biggest difference. In my case unplugging my computer is no more
trouble than flipping off a light switch, so it is worth doing even
though the energy savings are small.

I drool at the lightweight/plug computers, but the Sheevaplug (at
least) is known to run hot. See pretty pictures here:

http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1735.60

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org