[kwlug-disc] UBB comes to Teksavvy

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Jan 31 03:11:50 EST 2011

unsolicited's argument might hold water, except that no other country in
the world has a telecom charging its customers (AND the customers of
third-party providers) that much money for such low bitrates and monthly
caps, and DPI-inspected throttled applications.  On the latest (October
2010) OECD survey of broadband affordability, Canada ranks 6 from the
bottom of a list of 29 countries, averaging $11.85(USD) per Mbps for a
monthly subscription.  Best was Korea, at $1.76(USD) / Mbps.  That's
advertised bandwidth, which is vastly inflated over actual rates
experienced by customers.

Yes, population density is a factor, but Southern Ontario is not that
sparsely populated.  I'd be more willing to believe that we've
subsidized the cost of bandwidth for Canada's sparsely populated areas,
if those areas actually had any broadband connectivity at all.

My objection to UBB isn't that we're being charged for the bandwidth we
consume.  My objection is that Bell can collect money from people who
are not their customers, forcing third-party ISPs to do their dirty
work.  My objection is that Bell can collect these surcharges AND
continue to apply caps and throttling.  My objection is that there is no
evidence of Bell's true bandwidth costs, or their costs in implementing
new infrastructure. Such information may have been submitted to the CRTC
in their tariff application/filing, but those pages were withheld from
public scrutiny, ostensibly because Bell claimed this was proprietary
information and that its publication would compromise Bell's ability to
compete.

Bell doesn't only provide the infrastructure for its third-party ISPs,
it is also an ISP itself, competing directly with those third-party
ISPs.  Since it owns the infrastructure, it can undercut those
third-party ISPs.  Bell doesn't just provide infrastructure, it is also
a content provider. Since it owns the infrastructure it can price the
cost of bandwidth to make the offerings of other content providers
(Netflix, YouTube, CanWest/PostMedia) unaffordable. But you can always
subscribe to Bell TV (formerly ExpressVu) if you're unhappy with
Internet video, right?  We've been paying for bandwidth all along.  Bell
is business savvy - you won't convince me they've been operating at a
loss all this time, so there's never been a free ride here.  What is is,
is some major anti-competitive action on Bell's part.

--Bob.

The latest OECD survey results are available at:

http://www.oecd.org/document/54/0,3746,en_2649_33703_38690102_1_1_1_1,00.html

My figures came from http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/22/43/39574979.xls

Bob Jonkman<bjonkman at sobac.com>          http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software   ---   Office&  Business Automation   ---   Consulting