[kwlug-disc] UBB comes to Teksavvy

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 20:15:24 EST 2011

Of course UBB is not stupid, just devious.

As Brent says, it was just lobbying to limit what the users do with their
connection.

Think about equipment, service and all, including all the customers. $40 - $60 /
month should be enough to cover much more than the "Cap" bandwidth.

Do you really think that it costs them $2 to have the infrastructure to provide
1 GB?

The argument comparing the Internet with electricity would be valid if we were
paying the real price of the bandwith. I really doubt we do.

So lets keep using that analogy. There is no reason for high speed to be 3 or 4
times more expensive than dial-up. In reality, it should be less expensive (but
it isn't) as they can serve more users with less infrastructure.

Think about your home network. Would you prefer having a modem in each computer
connected to a switch that allows you to call from computer to computer? or have
a router or switch for all of them? which one you think is less expensive?
 Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx