[kwlug-disc] [OT] linux server power

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Sat Jan 29 09:13:45 EST 2011

On 2011-01-29 08:37, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
> There are other factors.

Always!
Please note that 100W v 7W and $7.00 / month was for one of the servers,
the VoIP server.
The other server(s) is(are) another matter and another set of
assumptions, calculations, and considerations.

And, so far, I have avoided the "carbon footprint" in my contributions.
John Van O mentioned:

It takes energy to forge silicon and metal and oil to make plastics and transport products. The carbon footprint of a new computer may be larger than that of your electrical bill.

I will add, the manufacture of  semiconductors i.e. CPUs, bus-bridges,
video accelerators, etc. has a surprisingly large carbon footprint.
This is part of the "dark side" of the high-tech industry which likes to
promote itself as 'clean' and 'green'.

But then, I studied vacuum tubes and I shudder when I imagine the carbon
footprint of typical home w/o semiconductors.

JohnJ

-----
No virus found in this message.