[kwlug-disc] [OT] linux server power

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Fri Jan 28 08:10:34 EST 2011

On 2011-01-27 20:08, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
> < snip >electricity costs <snip > an old Dell tower server that runs
> our Voip phones.  The other is a web/database/backup server running on
> an older HP workstation.
> A quick back of the napkin estimate from the electrician indicated the
> two machines might be costing me 30+ bucks a month in hydro alone. <snip>

Stating the obvious: With new machines some (how much?) power
consumption will remain. There may be some savings in the difference.
The payback in these savings vs. the cost of the new machine(s) (and the
power thingy) will likely take some time - maybe as long as 2 to 3 years.

Excluding electric heating, the typical culprits for residential power
consumption the power are the furnace fan motors and refrigerator and
freezer compressor motors.
Toss in ac compressor motors in the summer months.

I am going out on limb here, and echoing John VO (I think), if you can
justify a new server (using using other criteria) the VoIP server should
remain on the base H/W & OS while the web/database server could run in a
VM on the same platform. A backup server (fired up periodically) could
run in one of the older workstations as you already have the h/w.

John J.

-----
No virus found in this message.