[kwlug-disc] [OT] linux server power

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 07:35:32 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 8:23 PM, John Van Ostrand <john at netdirect.ca> wrote:
> Given that you have only two servers: voip and web I suppose a VM
> solution won't work. I'd recommend finding a nice Atom system with
> a solid state disk or flash drive instead of a hard disk and use it for
> VoIP. You'll shave power big time and typically VoIP consumes very
> little CPU unless your supporting big conferences.

My desktop machine is a mini-ITX Atom-based board: 4GB of RAM, a
dual-core 1.6GHz Atom, and SSD. It's drawing between 20 and 30
Watts when running -- all that for $330 (not including the case or SSD)
or less.

You should also invest in a power-meter thingy. They plug into a wall
socket, and you plug your power bar into them. They measure the V, A,
W, KWh, etc that are drawn through them. One should only cost $30.
Models names inclue "Kill-a-Watt" and "Powerangel".