[kwlug-disc] Starbuck Mobile App (for payment) - sort of OT

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Wed Jan 19 21:05:58 EST 2011

I have been told that that BlackBerry's can display a bar code that
another BlackBerry can scan with its camera to set up BB2BB messaging
aka BBM.
Displaying the bar-code to a scanner at a checkout is not that much of
leap, assuming the bar-code is "in the system" and associated with a
customer account. (Two way transactions are another matter altogether.)

On a side note, in the 1970's employees at a local manufacturer of
banking and checkout machines (carefully avoiding the obvious word) were
surveyed for their opinions on the optical scanning concept when it was
in its infancy. What better way for multinational to conduct a
hopefully, scientific survey than to solicit opinions from its employees
around the world. The sample size alone would increase the confidence in
survey. My kudos to that manufacturer.

I will toss in an "I don't know about Android" to mitigate the OT.

Tinfoil?

JohnJ

On 2011-01-19 13:45, Oksana Goertzen wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Starbucks just released a mobile app for iPhone & Blackberry that lets
> you pay via a scan with the device.  Anyone have any concerns around
> this sort of thing or NFC's?  I think Android has had this capability for
> a while, no?  In a related vein, anyone using an RF shield for their
> wallet?
>
> Cheers, Oksana

-----
No virus found in this message.