[kwlug-disc] [OT] Diagnosing voip and Tomato

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 25 11:02:15 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:21:52PM -0500, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
> Here's where I'm puzzled.  Seems like plenty of people using Voip on the
> list.  Am I the only one experiencing this problem repeatedly?  Or does
> everyone else's calls degrade as soon as the kids get home from school?

I have mentioned this before, but our Sympatico routers are
configurable so that our ATAs get priority bandwidth. I don't remember
how I did this; it may have been through IP address. So if you could
prioritize your Asterisk box's IP, you might win.

I agree with John that the "A" in ADSL is a big pain. Fortunately we
have not experienced much degradation, but I worry about it a fair
amount.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org