[kwlug-disc] First impressions: Less than impressed with freeswitch for home usage

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 08:57:05 EST 2011

Thank you Kiwi,

This one also looks very nice but I had the same problem. As soon as I started
Freeswitch, the CPU spiked and the box was unusable. I brought Freeswitch down,
started Asterisk and the box was happily idling.

Once you have the pre-requisites (which is a standard LAMP and Asterisk or
Freeswitch) the installation of Blue box is a breeze. Very nicely done.

I found that the Asterisk integration is still a work in progress and didn't
work for me: I got an error which makes me think they tested with a different
version of PHP. (I'm using Debian, so I probably don't have the latest PHP5)

I'll keep an eye on this project.

Given your experience in multiple servers and my small sample of two physical
servers and one virtual, I'd say that Freeswitch is optimized for large
installations and not small users.

I'll stop looking into Freeswitch for my immediate needs but also keep an eye on
it. Thank you for all the information provided.
Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx