[kwlug-disc] VOIP providers

William Rieck william.rieck at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 15:42:54 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Colin Mackay <zixiekat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you use voip.ms?  Can you comment on the service quality?

I have been using both VOIP.ms and Unlimitel in my home ever since Lori did
his presentation about asterisk on an OpenWRT box. The cost is so low my
wife and I both have our own line now.

I have had some quality issues last summer with voip.ms. which were not
occurring on my Unlimitel service (same house, same ATA one on each port). I
also was working closely with an office that was trying to use voip.ms as
some additional DIDs in their 'line hunt' sequence. The business ended up
switching to Unlimitel and it has been rock solid ever since.

But I also agree with Lori that voip.ms has not given me any problems for
months now. Sometime in the fall was the last problems I recall.

One last example is some family living in Grenada that I setup with a
Canadian and a U.S. voip.ms number to get around many of the high telecom
rates that exist there. The incumbent (Cable & Wireless) was charging $80/mo
to provide an ATA and a Canadian VOIP DID. I'm sure it's a great service
that many expats living there appreciate, until they realize with their own
ATA and a DID is only $1/month ... something aint right. Anyways I fully
expected some comments about the quality of the VOIP.ms service I setup for
them, and I've asked them numerous times, but they love it.

Let me close with this. No one has ever been fired for choosing Unlimitel.
;) But seriously, I've never, ever, had a problem with the quality
Unlimitel. (NAT issues are another story)

Bill