[kwlug-disc] voip questions

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Fri Feb 11 11:31:16 EST 2011

Woah!  all this organizational stuff sounds like Paul's job :).

I do think this is a big job, both organizationally and presentation
wise, which is why I'd suggested a Saturday rather than an evening.

My knee jerk reaction would be to something like the following:
10pm Home VOIP presentation, start to finish.  Show both DIY solutions
and prepackaged.
11pm-12pm workshop with vendors/lug members to help people with setup
1pm smallbusiness voip presentation, start to finish.  SHow both DIY
solutions and prepackaged.
3pm workshop with vendors/lug members to assist with setup.

I'm just making up the hours.  But to do it to the point where people
thinking about voip can walk in and walk out with a solution is probably
more than an evening presentation.

We'd need to organize space and presentations so that people and
businesses who've been thinking about it can walk out having made a
buying choice.  We'd have to organize:
- space
- presenters (including topics)
- refreshments
- vendors, because I think one could have some sort of booth/vendor area
as well.
- promotion i.e press releases/flyers.

This is both a large job and only potentially only peripherally related
to KWLUG (which is why I'd also mentioned that it may or may not be
something the group is interested in).  It'd need to be done both
cheap/free and yet properly so that it advances linux/voip.

I am prepared to invest some amount of time organizing this, but would
be reluctant to do anything without the backing of some organization and
other folks.

g.