[kwlug-disc] voip questions

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Fri Feb 11 09:50:30 EST 2011

----- Original Message -----
> I'm in the same boat. I have a box sitting here with a telephony card
> and a number of different versions of Asterisk on it - but never finding the
> 8 (or is that 80...) hours of time I'd need to get this running... I'd love
> it if KWLUG (or someone) would put on a quick start type of
> presentation...

It's hard to do a quick start presentation that applies to everyone. Here's why:

- Ata's have different configuration methods,
- Different telephony cards require different set up at a driver level and
- People want different configurations.

It seems that lately having a telephony card is a niche case. Most of the people on the list report using ATAs or are recommending ATAs. Using a telephony card inside a VM guest adds more complexity and may not be possible at all.

So does a presentation that only just brushes on ATA and telephony card but spends more time inside Asterisk and FreePBX work? That should be generic enough for Ubuntu, Fedora and Trixbox users. The target configuration would be a SIP ITSP line as a trunk and home phones as a single extension. If there is time we might be able to set up a SIP soft phone.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware