[kwlug-disc] voip questions

unsolicited at swiz.ca unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Feb 11 00:19:12 EST 2011

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 23:31:54 -0500, "L.D. Paniak"
<ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 19:37 -0800, Raul Suarez wrote:
>
>> The quality is almost standard phone like. You can also get an ATA to
>> connect to
>> your existing phone wiring. (I don't know how many phones can be
>> connected to a
>> single PAP2T, Some other people can give you better advise on that.
>>

> The Ringer Equivalence Number (REN) for the PAP2T-NA is 5 per port.
> That means each port can drive phones with RENs adding up to 5.  The
> typical modern, externally powered phone has a REN much less than one so
> I would expect a PAP2T to easily power a home phone system - even with
> line loss.
>
> The more modern Cisco/Linksys 2102 has a REN of 3.

And don't forget, if you're hooking up a multi-handset cordless phone,
it's the base that worries about getting stuff out to the handset. To the
ATA, it all looks like a single handset.

So, one thing to sort out for yourself is how many extensions do you want
for yourself? Since most homes only have one phone line now, which is to
say, one extension, a simplistic solution is such a cordless phone, an ATA,
and unlimitel. Done.