[kwlug-disc] dslreports link - vaxination petition (Was: Re: UBB comes to Teksavvy)

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Wed Feb 2 21:52:56 EST 2011

On 11-02-02 08:50 PM, unsolicited at swiz.ca wrote:

> I can't help but think ... Canada (apparently) survived the recession, or
> so the pundits appear to be trumpeting, due to better banking regulation
> and oversight. Whatever's overseeing the CRTC, which is overseeing Bell et
> al ... well, it doesn't intuitively seem to be working.

Strictly speaking as a Devil's advocate, in the long term, there might
be some good to come of these shenanigans.  For as long as Bell and and
the Cable encomburents(sp) were providing cheap, unlimited internet, the
free market was destroying any attempt at creating alternate
infrastructure.  For example, We used to have a T1 into town that was
shared amongst businesses with local DSL loops.  But when Rogers and
Bell brought High speed into our town, that service dried up (not many
would spend $100/month for Internet when Rogers was selling for $40)...
Alas, that also meant Upload bandwidth was no longer possible to obtain
in our small town, and servers had to be co-located.

And even now, alternatives to Bell and Rogers, such as terrestrial
wireless microwave networks, only scratch a living in rural areas where
other means of Internet access are not available and low population
density doesn't really provide the kind of market share needed for large
scale deployments.  But now that Internet over old copper is going to
cost power users a premium, there will be much more opportunity for
investment in alternative infrastructure, just in time when various
people are slowly rolling out fiber to home networks.

This is inconvenient for us now, and I don't pretend to like it, but in
the long term, this is the best opportunity I can think of for new
start-ups to take a solid bite out of the existing monopolies.