[kwlug-disc] dslreports link - vaxination petition (Was: Re: UBB comes to Teksavvy)

unsolicited at swiz.ca unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Feb 2 20:50:36 EST 2011

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:35:56 -0500, Kyle Spaans <3lucid at gmail.com> wrote:
> A nice technical overview of what Bell resellers use of Bell's
> infrastructure as well as "how the internet works". See the pretty
> pictures on page 5.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1621527~7113613720f25003c7128aa38c32efe5/CRTC-2010-802-Vaxination-Petition.pdf

Thanks for the link - interesting.

If I'm reading this right ... Bell takes all the packets you want to send
them, counts them for usage purposes, then applies their traffic shaping
(aka drops packets). So they ding you for packets they're about to drop?
Unbelievable.

I'm noticing this presentation is from last November. And the CRTC still
went ahead and did what it did. Unbelievable.

I can't help but think ... Canada (apparently) survived the recession, or
so the pundits appear to be trumpeting, due to better banking regulation
and oversight. Whatever's overseeing the CRTC, which is overseeing Bell et
al ... well, it doesn't intuitively seem to be working.