[kwlug-disc] UBB CRTC decision to be reviewed ...

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Tue Feb 1 21:30:22 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 20:18 -0500, unsolicited at swiz.ca wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 19:36:26 -0500, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net>
> wrote:
> > ... Bandwidth is not some
> > scarce resource
>
> But bandwidth is a scarce commodity, that is the root of all of this.

-Save the bits!  They are an endangered species!-

And that is the fallacy that lies behind the "bandwidth conservation"
movement.  Bandwidth is *not* a scarce commodity.  Why?  Because I can
manufacture as much of it as I care to - so long as people are willing
to pay the price.  An example of a scare commodity are Dodo birds.
Can't make any more(yet), sorry.  Bandwidth is a product that is made in
a factory.  In fact, most bandwidth available today was made by Nortel
and Lucent more than a decade ago during the Great Internet Bubble when
everyone and their dog was burying fibre throughout North America.  This
bandwidth is being horded in an uncompetitive manner by the people that
own it in order to maintain pricing power and keep control of media
distribution in this country.  Funny how these new internet usage limits
follow so closely after the introduction of Netflix to Canada...

Practical bottlenecks are purely fiction, FUD and/or uncreative thinking
of people who stand to gain by not advancing past the status quo.  How
can people in Japan and Korea enjoy 100mbit+ symmetric to their homes if
it is a technological impossibility?  Population density?  OK, so
Kincardine doesn't get 100mbit - this does not explain why it is not
available in downtown Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver.  There are other,
non-technological, reasons at work.

How is it that I can send this e-mail from my desk through my Android
phone's 3G wifi bridge at 3mbps but only upload it over a copper line at
600kbps?  Answer:  My phone is running 21st century tech while my DSL
line dates to the mid-90s  Copper should always beat wireless by a
factor of 10 in performance at the same price.  If it does not, someone
is selling you stale product.  Competition (and ADSL2) would fix this
problem.  Unfortunately, it is nowhere to be found.