[kwlug-disc] UBB Discussion, look at Cogeco

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Feb 1 15:40:58 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 02:59:04PM -0500, Colin Mackay wrote:
> Which brings up another thought.  Sharing amongst friends.  Legality aside,
> soes anyone think external parties might complain that we could be sharing
> copyrighted works privately?

We could be doing that right now via burned CDs.  That doesn't give
"external parties" the right to search our cars and homes just on mere
suspicion.

People *are* doing that right now on Bell's network.  If they shut down
our privately owned network, they should shut down Bell too.

But even so, I'm sure we would be happy to let the authorities sniff
on the network temporarily if they had a legitimate warrant.

- Chris

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes
hurtling down the highway."
	- Andrew Tanenbaum
	http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Andrew_S._Tanenbaum