[kwlug-disc] UBB Discussion, look at Cogeco

R. Brent Clements rbclemen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 13:42:26 EST 2011

All attempts to blanket a populated area will be squashed by the firms
that expect to be able to charge for those services.

If we could find one endpoint and a network of appartment buildings in
close proximity to each other to create an initial web that can
leverage the increased residential unit density, we could make a good
start.  We may also want to look into providing a cost-effective
low-bandwith solution to rent controlled townhouse complexes in
exchange for physical locations to create bridges.

My business partner and I have thought about this kind of thing
before.  but without someone with enough clout to provide an
unencumbered backbone connection and the ability to stand up to the
CRTC when we actually become large enough to be a threat to them, it
seems moot.

Brent