[kwlug-disc] UBB Discussion, look at Cogeco

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 11:08:22 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Rashkae <rashkae at tigershaunt.com> wrote:

> On 11-02-01 10:23 AM, Kyle Spaans wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what you've got against Teksavvy, their adjusted prices
>> are _exactly_
>> the same as other Bell resellers, as well as Bell's own DSL prices.
>>

> This might be the case, and I'll have to eat a lot of crow, but every time I
> ask, I get directed to the CRTC documents I've already quoted, which has
> much lower UBB rates.  And what other Bell resellers are they exactly the
> same?  Most DSL resellers haven't announced the new UBB rates at all, and
> some still selling unlimited plans on year contract (no doubt they will
> regret that when they are left holding the Bell invoice.)
>
> What I have against TekkSavvy, assuming I didn't miss something that makes
> me grossly wrong, is that on one side of the mouth they are making public
> announcements about how they don't like the new UBB and how the rates are
> insanely high, and on the other, they are setting prices that give them over
> 100% mark-up on CRTC approved UBB.

http://crtc.gc.ca/public/8740/2010/b2/1478217.zip
Inside, there are doc files, read the "Tariff Pages" one, and look at the bottom
of page 3. I can post this to a shared Google Document if you don't like .docx
:)

Also, just browse to Bell's DSL prices and features:
http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_ON.Bell-Internet-Performance/DSLTIPONNewMassNCOPF10.details#tabCont1-tabs
It should clearly show 25GB cap, and $5 for 40GB of "insurance". I can't
find how much they are charging for every GB over the limit though.

Primus has some of their own hardware that isn't affected by the CRTC's
ruling, but they are charging the same UBB rates.
I'm not sure what some other DSL resellers are in this area?
Execulink has slightly better prices.