[kwlug-disc] CarrierIQ

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 3 20:12:45 EST 2011

I saw this on another mailing list, and many of you have probably
heard about it too. Somebody named Trevor Eckhart has documented
evidence that some models of Android phones on some carriers [0] that
tracks your SMSes, keystrokes and Wifi surfing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T17XQI_AYNo

I think we all abstractly know we are being tracked, but this makes
the situation uncomfortably explicit, and brings some of the
implications of the new copyright and lawful access bills that are
finally becoming law. Canadian ISPs claim that they are not using
CarrierIQ, but that does not mean they are avoiding analytics
software.

I wish this story could get some legs in the general public, but I
don't think it's going to happen.

- Paul

[0] Yes, this is a super-vague statement.
--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org