[kwlug-disc] Freedom Box?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Aug 20 19:27:57 EDT 2011

Colin K wrote, On 08/20/2011 6:55 PM:
> Archive.org to the rescure?
> Link<http://web.archive.org/web/20100222030154/http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php>
>  from JULY 15, 2009 Snapshot
>
> Software packages such as PeerGuardian, PeerBlock(forked from PG), Moblock
> (linux variant) these all use the bluetack lists. Afaik unless they pull
> from here http://ipblocklist.com/ im not sure but either way they block crap
> tonnes of ip's.  Wish I could get a router to filter this stuff right now
> not later.

You can. You can do it with the linux router you have right now. (You
just probably don't want to. Below.)

Have used PeerGuardian / PeerBlock, for years. Happily so. Installed
iplist / ipblock in the last couple of days. Seems to be working well.
(One buggette, one user interface issue. One issue left uninvestigated
thus far.)

All pull from bluetack, which, if I read correctly, is more of a
central point of retrieval, than entirely a source of the lists. I
believe they pull their lists from iplists, or vice versa, I forget
which / get confused. Upshot - either gets you the other and to the
same place.

The iplist forum (or moblock adjacent references there or somewhere)
note router attempts. The problem being the 16MB of memory consumed by
the lists - with limited router memory. Although intuitive, today,
didn't see any references to people with usb drives connected to them
(the router) trying.

You can get at least part of where you're talking in the mean time,
though. Be it running a web proxy and having it suck in the lists,
downloading a hosts file (dynamic update mechanism undiscovered to
date) or loading a static 'high-level' list into openwrt's iptables.

Or running iplist everywhere, all sucking up the same lists.

Not point of traversal, unless your linux box is your gateway, but the
limited hardware power of typical OpenWRT devices seems
insurmountable. I'll guess pfsense will take advantage of the lists,
if you have one in place.