[kwlug-disc] Google purchases Motorola (Mobile)?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Aug 20 17:12:26 EDT 2011

Chris Irwin wrote, On 08/20/2011 12:58 PM:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 10:13:14AM -0400, Glenn Henshaw wrote:
>>   From what I recall, key portions of Android that are needed for phones are closed source. I think that they took the model from Apple and Darwin (BSD based) where parts like the audio manager are missing.
>
> There are open source builds of android (cyanogenmod in particular) that
> are fully functional on and as phones. They did get hit with a copyright
> threat from google, but that was for distributing closed-source apps
> (gmail, etc).

As I recall a conversation at the time, Android wasn't on pads at the
time although I believe it was expected to come - ultimately you want
to tie the ecosystem to a piece of hardware, and, especially, have
that hardware communicate out over the air (wi-fi / cell). 'Freedom'
largely stopped at that line / to get a cell carrier to carry your
device they required you to cross a line you could not cross free of
restrictions.

I don't suppose, let alone prior comments (e.g. cyanogenmod), there's
any reason you couldn't run it in a vm or whatever, but why? Given the
rich environment of alternatives available. e.g. Full Linux.
(Not speaking of developer needs, here.)

Ultimately, be it a pad, a device in your fridge or mounted on your
cupboard, it has to run on hardware. At which point FOSS runs into snags.