[kwlug-disc] SFD presentation callout

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 19 13:12:14 EDT 2011

It's official: Software Freedom Day is a go at The Working Centre. It
will be held on Saturday, Sept 17 from 10am to 4pm.

The film festival thing is likely a bust, but we want to have
giveaways, demos, an installfest and some talks. This is a call for
speakers: 20-30 minute talks/workshops, ideally oriented towards
general users who have little/no FLOSS experience.

Here's what we have booked so far:

- David Carr: OpenClipArt and freely-licenced art
- Raul: Software Freedom

Here are some rumoured presentations that have not been confirmed:

- Charles McColm: XBMC
- Brent: sound production in Linux

We could use more presentations and demos. In the past we have had
presentations on Blender, Inkscape, computer security, and OpenOffice.
There are lots of other potential topics as well.

Here is our planning page:
http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/2011/Canada/Kitchener/TWC

You can offer up presentations here, by contacting me directly, or by
contacting Charles.

You can also offer to help out on the day. You don't need a lot of
Linux knowledge to be helpful. Let us know what aspects of the day you
would be interested in.

We will also need lots of publicity help. It would be good to spread
the word about this day. We hope to have a poster together soon, and
there are many online resources that can be used for publicity.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org