[kwlug-disc] Google purchases Motorola (Mobile)?

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Thu Aug 18 20:19:58 EDT 2011

On 2011-08-18 19:52, Chris Irwin wrote:
> My experience with WebOS is that non-focused apps do continue to work.
> This can be illustrated by opening a browser to a web page, then switch
> to another app. When you switch back, the browser will have fetched the
> page.

AFAIK (as an Android newbie *): This is the same on Android.

Thanks to Norm Young's presentation, when an Android app is switched
out, the Activity component is suspended by the other components (if
any) in the app remain active.

<Qualifier> However, If one of these other components is waiting for a
response from the Activity component, e.g. user interaction, then the
waiting component will be blocked - in the Android framework.</Qualifier>

Referring to Norm's presentation the five architectural components of an
Android app are:

    * /Activity/ - User interaction
    * /Service/ - Long-running computation
    * /Broadcast Receiver/ - System event reception
    * /Content Provider/ - Data access and storage
    * /Intent/ - Inter-component communication

* 2 introductory meetings on developing for Android hardly qualify me as
an advisor in this space.
But that has never stopped me before ;-)

Regards
jsquared