[kwlug-disc] Google purchases Motorola (Mobile)?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Aug 18 16:18:30 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 03:43:16PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 08/18/2011 2:52 PM:
> >They are Linux, so true multi tasking.
>
> Not so, based on what I've read. OR, the reading I did I didn't pay
> close enough attention to to distinguish pre-emptive from multi-tasking.

Do you have links for this?

According to this, each app runs as a separate user and a separate
Linux process, on Android:

	http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals.html

GUI based apps are suspended when they are in the background, but that's
not due to Linux, that's due to Android's design.

	http://davidquintana.com/entry/mobile-multitasking

> Pre-emption is important.
>
> Thus, my question / speculation, that RIM Android, running QNX, may be
> significant (competitive advantage). If it's pre-emptive - which I
> don't know.

I'm not sure it's an advantage, given iPhone 4 and Android are already
preemptive multitaskers, with Android being more "wild west" in its
background processing philosophy.  (i.e. "You want a background service?
You got a background service!") :-)

- Chris