[kwlug-disc] "In the new Canada, the web browses you"

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Sat Aug 13 21:43:22 EDT 2011

On 2011-08-13 16:30, unsolicited wrote:
> Anyways, the debate point here, for England / riots is ... slippery
> slope.

Agreed! It is a slippery slope.

Twitter, Facebook, BBM (?) lauded in Tunisia, Egypt and elsewhere in the
Arab Spring.

BBM under fire by authorities in India, UAE and elsewhere, for reasons
of 'security'.

BBM, Twitter, and maybe Facebook scrutinized by authorities in the UK,
again for reasons of 'security' and 'public order'.

BTW: In the late 1970s and the early 1980s, in Poland when cell phones
were in their infancy and before BBM, newer and inexpensive fax
equipment was used by Solidarity et al. to organize popular groups
distributed throughout the country. The rest is history.

No judgments. Just parallels.
Except that I know it is a slippery slope.
And I am not sure where I am on the slope.