[kwlug-disc] USB key filesystem for backups

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 17:58:13 EDT 2011

2011/8/5 Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca>:
> I played around with JFSS2 formatting and gave up. I did not want to
> use FAT. So I ended up using ext3, which is bad because it will kill
> my USB key sooner.

Hmm? I think you may be the victim of a misunderstanding. :) JFFS2 is
a "flash memory filesystem", but your "USB Flash Memory Key" is not
one of these. See
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/general.html#L_mtd_vs_hdd.
Sure, the same kind of NAND Flash memory is used deep inside of your
USB key, but the layer on top of that does the wear leveling etc that
JFFS2 tries to accomplish for raw Flash memory.

> What should I use to format this key? How should I do it?

ext[234]