[kwlug-disc] Cat 5e cable request...

Cedric Puddy cedric at thinkers.org
Fri Aug 5 12:59:27 EDT 2011

Do you need FT4 (non-plenum -- ok outside of walls, or inside dedicated conduit) or FT6 (plenum/fire-rated cable -- required if the cable will be routed in air handling spaces, such as false ceilings, air ducts, etc.)?

FT4 CAT5e is about half the cost ($<100/box), and has much more durable jackets (when it comes to handling).

FT6 CAT5e is about $180 box, last I checked, and the cable jacket tends to be stiffer and a little odd (due to the fire retardant nature of the material I assume).

CAT6 adds about 30% to the cost of a box, I think.  I buy cable and such from PrimeSpec on Hartley Ave in  Waterloo (it's just up the hill from the AVIS car rental place on Weber, near Union street), and they're good guys.

Other basic considerations I generally live by for having happy reliable cabling results:

	- solid core cable always fixed, stranded cable allowed to be loose
	- never use crimp connectors ever -- takes forever to install, mixed reliability, not good for stranded cable, and not good for solid core cable since you want that stuff nailed down
	- use keystone jacks for drops -- this allows cables to nailed down, so nothing bad happens to the runs that took so much work to do in the first place; much easier to ensure a proper electrical connection; you will need a punch-down tool (PrimeSpec has them) instead of a crimp tool for installation.
	- run a cable tester on all drops

When you install keystones, you inevitably need patch cables; these can be had in various lengths from $2.00/ea; but I've got lots and could donate a good selection if need be.

How many drops are you doing?  I can probably donate a bunch of keystone jacks, and would be open to doing a bit of a cable installation "training session" in terms of showing you how we require techs to do installations.

I also have helpful extras, like 100' fibre fish and lightning rods (long stiff rods that let you loft cables over large open spaces, or push them through constrained spaces), and an extra punchdown tool you might borrow.

-Cedric