[kwlug-disc] VoIP home phone from Teksavvy (TekTalk)?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Aug 3 01:43:51 EDT 2011

If there is

Colin K wrote, On 08/02/2011 8:30 PM:
> its voip

That's a feature, not a catch. (-:

> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 7:39 PM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Has anyone tried VoIP home phone from teksavvy.com (called "TekTalk"),
>>    <http://teksavvy.com/en/res-homephone.asp#tektalk>
>> or from any other ISP?  I'm wondering, for $9.95/month, what's the
>> catch?

There are a number of teksavvy users on the list, and if memory
serves, there were messages that went by a few months back about their
voip. I may be confusing them with eyesurf, though. If you search the
archives for eyesurf, I think you will hit the messages streams I
vaguely remember.

http://kwlug.org/pipermail/kwlug-disc_kwlug.org/

Hopefully any such users will also respond to your message query.

If there's a catch, it is, at least, vendor dependence. Whether that's
important to you, or if you're looking for a simpler turnkey solution,
YMMV. I expect, though, also being your ISP, gives you greater
assurance of quality of result (they have control of their own network
to investigate and resolve), and someone's feet to hold to a fire. But
that is NOT to say you won't have equally happy results, elsewhere.
You rolls the dice, you takes your chances.

BTW - Acanac is out if you were thinking of their cable, and number
portability is important to you. They don't do that yet. And have
steadfastly refused to provide any hints as to where/if they're going
in that direction. Vapourware.

To my mind, something like voip.ms is more attractive - removing
vendor dependence. If I move, doesn't matter what ISP I use, then,
nothing changes on my voip end. No aggravation of migration, number
portability not even a question, timing of old service start, timing
of new service start, parameter reentry (setting up forwarding), etc.
(I guess I'm assuming my current provider doesn't offer service at the
new location, here.)

I don't think it matters where you go, you'll always be at risk of
provider acquisition. Unlimitel being acquired startled me. Not to say
they have had any service interruptions as a result (I wouldn't know),
but such acquisition must have some non-zero level of irritation for
the end user. Even if only to ascertain that all will remain well.