[kwlug-disc] Natty Release & Linux / WinXP coexist

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Apr 25 13:42:05 EDT 2011

Darcy Casselman wrote, On 04/25/2011 1:26 PM:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:36 AM, John Johnson <jvj at golden.net> wrote:
>> Opening the flood gates: OS Recommendations please.
>> CPU: Athalon 2.1 GHz; RAM: 512 MB; HDD: 160 GB (~100 GB avail for Linux)
>>
>> Please recall that I am comfortable with the command line.
>> But I would like to play with a minimum GUI and apps like Screen.
>
> Hi John,
>
> With 512MB RAM, you might want to try xubuntu (http://xubuntu.org/).
> You may find Ubuntu a bit sluggish.

Good point, meant to mention that.

Also - you can install multiple window managers, choosing which one to
run at login time. e.g. There will be a drop down, you can choose xfce
  (Xubuntu), KDE, or Gnome, at each logon. Having installed one of the
OS', getting the gnome-, kde-, or xfce-desktop gets you the others.

One of the really nice things about linux - an amazing amount of crud,
that windows starts by default, doesn't happen when you load, for
example, xfce this way. [Sometimes Linux is perceived slow because of
this - it presents the login screen before starting the window
manager. Unlike windows, which loads a fair portion of the GUI before
presenting the login. So, linux takes a while to boot, you login, then
it takes a while to bring up the gui - undeservedly leading to the
perception of being slow.]

The command line will be the same, regardless.

The apps, largely, will also be the same, regardless. They have a
slightly different look or feel to the menuing, depending upon the
window manager, but the guts and functionality are the same.

There is a similar release scheme too - e.g. a 10.04 LTS.

I'm sort of surprised Raul hasn't brought up Puppy
http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm, or
Mint http://www.linuxmint.com/ yet, but I'm trying to K.I.S.S. here.