[kwlug-disc] Natty Release & Linux / WinXP coexist

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Apr 23 11:01:52 EDT 2011

Kyle Spaans wrote, On 04/23/2011 9:45 AM:
>>> but Windows does not come with the ext4 drivers)
>> There are ext4 drivers out there for Windows? Links?
>
> Ext2[1], is the first one that I ever found that I know works well in
> XP. There also seems to be a new one aiming for Ext3/4[2]! Cool!
>
> 1 - http://www.fs-driver.org/
> 2 - http://www.ext2fsd.com/

Been using both for quite some time, happily and successfully.

fs-driver is 'nicer' but no go for Win 7.  fs-driver is fine for win
7, after turning off uac.

Ultimately, I turned off both - they corrupt themselves when hit hard
for prolonged periods - such as backing up C: to them. I blame windows
for this - it feels like win has a memory leak or something, so the
driver doesn't get all it should under hard usage.

In a dual-boot machine I'll have a Win OS partition, a Linus OS
partition, and a shared ext2 data partition.

Neither are ext3 (journalling), let alone ext4.