[kwlug-disc] Natty Release & Linux / WinXP coexist

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Apr 23 01:03:01 EDT 2011

John Johnson wrote, On 04/23/2011 12:15 AM:
> On 2011-04-22 23:48, unsolicited wrote:
>> But, I think all will agree - 512 is better than no machine at all.
>
> My thoughts exactly.
>
> I have no real workload planned for the Linux box other than hands-on
> familiarization with the console, KDE, Gnome, SSH, etc.
> Oops. Almost I forgot Paul's Screen. In time, I expect that I will hit a
> wall and expand the RAM as recommended.
> Thanks all for the input.

The issue for memory will be a GUI at all. Let alone running anything
like firefox afterwards.

Given the age of the machine, the working centre may have a REALLY
good deal for you. e.g. If you have 4 slots, currently using 2, you
might be able to pick up two more 1gb sticks cheap. Perhaps only 256
or 512 mb.

Linux is well capable of running excellently in 512 mb, as many will
point out. However, most will also likely point out ... not while
running K/Ubuntu (KDE/Gnome). There are many other window managers
though - but I don't expect that's your intent with this machine.

Hey - if you move over to a Linux PIM / e-mail, your 'virus free'
footers will disappear? After all, it's a Linux list - believe me, we
do not assume anyone who does not put such a footer is sending a
virus. We do assume anyone posting is not intentionally sending a
virus. Perhaps silly us.

OTOH - it's arguable that a plain text list can't get a virus at all,
in the first place. Even if it were a windows list. To feel assured by
the disclaimer.