[kwlug-disc] Party Websites and FLOSS

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 16 20:05:28 EDT 2011

How about interrupting all these alienating political threads with
some open source observations?

http://liberal.ca : Wordpress? Here is a bit when I view
source:

script type='text/javascript'
src='http://cdn2.liberal.ca/wp-content/themes/election/includes/www-liberal-ca.js.gzip?ver=1'

The "wp-content" gives it away, I think.

http://ndp.ca : Drupal. Here is a snippet:

jQuery.extend(Drupal.settings, { "basePath": "/", "views": ...

http://greenparty.ca : Drupal. You can even surf to
http://greenparty.ca/node/1 . (The way the NDP handles this is more
clever.)

http://www.blocquebecois.org/Accueil.aspx : Some ASP.NET thing. It
might be hand coded, or might be one of the ASP.NET CMSes
(two that I saw are Sitefinity and Kentico). However, their blog site
(http://blogue.blocquebecois.org/) is Wordpress:

meta name="generator" content="WordPress 3.1.1"

http://www.conservative.ca : some CMS called "Expression" produced by
a company called "Backbone Technology"

meta name="generator" content="Expression v (1.8.6) - Backbone
Technology Inc - http://www.backbonetechnology.com"

Of course, this CMS uses JQuery:

script src="/includes/libs/js/jquery/jquery-1.4.2.min.js"
type="text/javascript"

Oddly enough, Peter Braid's website (http://www.stephenwoodworth.ca/)
is running Joomla, even though it is themed similarly to the main site:

meta name="generator" content="Joomla! 1.5 - Open Source Content
Management"

But Stephen Woodworth (http://www.stephenwoodworth.ca/) appears to be
running that ASP.NET CMS Sitefinity:

$create(Telerik.Web.UI.RadTabStrip, {"_align":3,"_selectedIndex":0...

(Telerik is the company that makes Sitefinity.)

I find this a bit strange because in the last election almost all the
candidates were given websites created and published by the central
office.

Overall, not bad. If only we could parlay this adoption of FLOSS-based
websites into FLOSS-friendly policy. Sucks to be us.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org
All-candidates meetings: http://www.wonderfulwaterloo.com/calendar.php?c=12