[kwlug-disc] Multi-zone question for the audio gurus

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Apr 13 13:59:07 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 02:19, R. Brent Clements <rbclemen at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is no problem running a line level feed to multiple rooms.  The
> output of the soundcard can be reasonably dropped in multiple rooms.
> I have run stereo line connections through a 50' XLR cable from a
> small mixer output to a 2.1 Altec Lansing speaker set.  Never listened
> closely to the sound, but it seemed all right.

That is good to know. Maybe I can just do some frankenwiring then, and if
causes problems look elsewhere.

> The other option you may want to consider is traversing some of the
> distances using your network.  If the MPD was running on a computer
> with PulseAudio installed the sound can be available to any other
> computer with PulseAudio on the network.  Just a thought......

This is indeed a pretty cool feature of PA which I've used to send local
music to another PA device. The issue I have is that I don't always have a
computer nearby (Or I'm on my laptop with tinny speakers). With mpd, I can
control the queue from my phone, and don't need smart equipment (besides
something powered with line-in) in each target room.

> You can use the same mic cable and use the positive and negative wires
> as a left and right channel instead, with a common ground.  This is
> the basic headphone style connection.  You would simply put the
> connectors you need on each end (you can tie the grounds of RCA or
> Phone connectors together on the common ground.  Multiple branches
> would be possible if you wanted to solder together the lengths
> together or install y jacks in multiple places.

What would the benefit to mic cables versus a decent RCA cable (considering
I won't be doing the whole signal split amp thing you had above)? Is it just
all-in-one versus two cables? Just a better quality cable?

Is common ground for two RCA cables important? I assumed that would be
default via the equipment at either end.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>