[kwlug-disc] pity the copyright lobbyists

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 13:32:32 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Chris Bruner <cbruner at quadro.net> wrote:
> Apparently the NDP's position it to increase the copyright tax to include
> mp3 players.

  Not the simplest policy to discuss, given the Conservatives have
been misleading people on it for a long time.  Details are at:
http://creform.ca/5313

The short form is that this is not a new policy, but proposed changes
to an existing part of the Canadian Copyright act. The Conservatives
supported the status-quo in Bill C-32, the Liberals proposed replacing
it, the Bloc supported expanding it, and the NDP supported finally
having the necessary conversation to do something.

  Bill C-32 would have had the effect of a massive increase of the
price of blank audio recording media such as CD's.

Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
http://fix.billc32.ca/petition/ict/

 manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
 portable media player from my cold dead hands!"