[kwlug-disc] Multi-zone question for the audio gurus

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Apr 12 21:54:49 EDT 2011

I know there are a few audio-knowledgeable folks on the list (I'm
looking at you, Brent!). Does anybody know much about multi-zone audio?

I've set up an mpd service, and I've got sound running out of my
server's sound card. I'd like to take that output and stick it into
various other rooms. Those rooms will either have receivers (my stereo's
line-in) or powered PC speakers (via unused KVM port in my office).

Ideally I'd like the audio running to all outputs all the time, so I can
simply turn on the speakers in the office to listen to music, rather
than flip A/B switches in the basement.

Any suggestions for hardware? Parts? Schematics? I'm assuming it's more
complex than soldering five wires together, and I may need some sort of
amplified device.

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca