[kwlug-disc] Android Experts

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Apr 5 18:16:16 EDT 2011

John Van Ostrand wrote, On 04/05/2011 2:54 PM:
> I'm finding it tough to decide on the size. My technology averse
> wife could use it to search for recipes in the kitchen and do the
> occasional web site lookup and a 10" would be perfect for that. But
> I'm thinking an ebook reader is in my future and an 10" seems to
> big. Maybe it means two devices.

Does she look up recipes now?

I could see, with hands covered in flour, being able to give voice
commands, 'scroll down', or 'call them all for supper', could be useful.

At what point does it become time to give a room it's own dedicated
computer appliance? e.g. A small laptop, or 'computer in a display'
mounted under a cupboard with a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo?

- news sites
- mythtv front end
- LinuxMCE controller
- media player, be it music or youtube
- video/phone
- intercom
- follow me (lights turn on/off as you move through the house / music
stops playing in one room, begins in another)

Hmmm. Are such, or tablets, or wi-fi pda's, the new cordless phone?