[kwlug-disc] Asking questions of candidates during the election.

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Apr 3 14:02:02 EDT 2011

The Pirate Party is not a one-issue party.  Even a quick look at their
Web site will show that they have four major planks in their national
platform: https://www.pirateparty.ca/about

All political issues are being addressed by candidates of The Pirate
Party; I have had discussions on foreign policy, fiscal policy, health
care, &c. with other members.

The name of "The Pirate Party" has been deliberately chosen to leverage
the media characterization of people who infringe copyright as
"Pirates", giving Pirate Party members an opportunity to engage people
in discussion.  Thank you, Raul, for contributing to that.  Even though
some other registered parties have larger membership, it's The Pirate
Party that can make its voice heard precisely because of the mockery
implied by its name.

There are currently two Pirate Party candidates in Waterloo Region:

Greg Wedow, Kitchener Centre
*https://www.pirateparty.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1008.0

Steven Scott, Kitchener Waterloo
https://www.pirateparty.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1013.0

I've asked them to come to the KWLUG meeting on Monday night.  I'm sure
they'll be quite willing to address questions on any part of the Pirate
Party platform, as well as any other political issues.
*

--Bob Jonkman
(former director of the Pirate Party of Canada)