[kwlug-disc] new hardward for linux - recommendations?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Sep 29 12:40:38 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 10:46:51AM -0400, Darcy Casselman wrote:

> The other big performance factor for virtual machines is harddrive.
> The difference in performance between a disk image file on a spinning
> disk and a disk image file on a SSD is staggering.  If you're going to
> splurge on anything, get a fast SSD.  It's worth it.

I know that this topic has come up before, but I wasn't paying
attention and apparently I'm too lazy to search the archives. What
should I be looking for in SSDs? What brands can I trust? Do I have to worry
about wear-levelling and that nonsense still?

I remember that Chris Irwin bought himself an SSD drive as a reward
for being good. Is he happy with it? What about other people with
SSDs?

To what extent does it make sense to use SSDs in a RAID configuration?

- Paul (who is off to search the archives)

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org